You may have seen our post where we made a vegan matcha cheesecake for the first time using Mermaid blue matcha from Bluebird Tea Co. Well this time we’ve tweaked the recipe and gone for a more traditional green matcha cheesecake using orange flavoured matcha on a chocolate base. This is now our go-to dinner party desert and one which will be perfect in summer when we can eat it straight out of the freezer. Our recipe contains cashew nuts, but there are plenty of alternative nut-free recipes out there using agar agar (or vegan gelatin).
Chocolate Orange Matcha Cheesecake
- For the base
- 200g (2 cups) shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 250g chopped and pitted dates
- 50g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder (or you can use dark chocolate/cacao)
- For the filling
- 50ml (1/4 cup) agave or maple syrup
- 4-6 teaspoons of orange matcha (or matcha of your choice)
- 200g (1 1/4 cups) raw cashews (soaked in boiling water for 1 hour)
- 1x small can (160ml/3/4 cup) of coconut cream
- 60ml (1/4 cup) coconut oil, melted
- 60g (1/4 cup) coconut yogurt (we used Coconut Collective)
- To make the base: If using a regular cake tin, line the bottom and sides with grease-proof paper or if you’re using a pan with a removable bottom just line the bottom.
- Combine shredded coconut, chopped dates, cocoa powder and coconut oil in a food processor. Mix on high until the mixture become grainy.
- Transfer mixture into your pan and spread base evenly with your fingers making sure the mixture is packed firmly. Pop in the fridge whilst you make the filling.
- To make the filling:
- Soak cashews in a covered bowl in boiling water for one hour (or overnight in cool water), drain.
- Combine coconut cream, yoghurt, oil, syrup, and matcha powder in a food processor. Mix on high for 10 seconds.
- Add the cashews and keep blending until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to the pan and spread evenly over the base
- Place in the freezer for around four hours and then it’s ready to eat. You can freeze for longer but it’s best to defrost it in the fridge overnight (or at room temperature for a few hours).
- Garnish with grated chocolate and enjoy!
If you try out this recipe, let us know what you think! Our matcha came from the wonderful Bluebird Tea Co. (don’t forget when you order tea, you can get 20% off your first order using code: bugteabird54). Their matcha range is amazing so do let us know if you try it with any of the other flavours (I think salted caramel is up next for us)! You can see them all here bluebirdteaco.com/matcha.
Becca & Kate