It is T-Easter so we just had to get our bake on again! If you have left it a little last minute to wow your family or friends with an Easter themed sweet treat then this cake is quick and easy to whip up. It also makes a refreshing change from all the chocolate around at Easter – just incase your taste-buds need a change!
Hot Cross Cupcakes
- 50g Sultanas
- 3 tsp Hot Cross Bun Tea
- 170g Dairy Free Margarine
- 170g Caster Sugar
- 170g Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Egg Replacement Powder
- Icing Sugar
- 1 Orange
- Small Bar Dark Chocolate
- Line your cupcake pan with 12 cupcake cases and preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Brew the Hot Cross Bun Tea for three minutes, remove the tea leaves and then place the tea in a small bowl with the sultanas. Soak the sultanas until you are ready to add them to the cake mix.
- Cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
- Mix the egg replacer in a small bowl with 6 tbsp of warm water until it goes frothy.
- Add the egg replacer to the cake mix and gradually fold in the flour using a metal spoon so you don’t knock out any air in the mixture.
- Drain and stir in the sultanas until evenly mixed.
- Divide the cake mixture into the 12 cupcake containers and bake for 24-30 minutes, until lightly brown and cooked on the inside.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled mix 1 tsp margarine and 1/2 the juice of an orange. Gradually add sieved icing sugar until you reach a good icing consistency. The icing should be spreadable but not drippy.
- Top the cupcakes with icing and grate a little dark chocolate over to finish.
We love how the spices of the tea come through in the sultanas with these cupcakes and soaks into the sponge – a simple tea twist to the classic Victoria sponge method. We enjoyed ours with a cup of Hot Cross Bun tea in these gorgeous little handmade Hot Cross Bunnies by Bluebird Tea Co., you can get yours here. If you try out this recipe, let us know what you think and share a snap of your creation with us over on instagram! Our tea came from the wonderful Bluebird Tea Co. (don’t forget when you order tea, you can get 20% off your first order using code: bugteabird54).
Kate & Becca