We’ve been really keen to try a vegan cheesecake since we started the blog and when Bluebird Tea Co. sent us matcha from their latest collection we decided to give it a go. This recipe is for a vegan no-bake coconut cheesecake using Mermaid matcha which contains blue pea flowers giving it this gorgeous turquoise hue!
Mermaid Matcha Cheesecake
- For the base
- 200g (2 cups) shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 250g chopped and pitted dates
- For the filling
- 50ml (1/4 cup) agave or maple syrup
- 4-6 teaspoons of mermaid matcha
- 200g (1 1/4 cups) raw cashews (soaked in boiling water for 1 hour)
- 1x small can (160ml/3/4 cup) of coconut cream
- 60ml (1/4 cup) coconut oil, melted
- 60g (1/4 cup) coconut yogurt (we used Coconut Collective)
- To make the base: If using a regular cake tin, line the bottom and sides with grease-proof paper or if you’re using a pan with a removable bottom just line the bottom.
- Combine shredded coconut, chopped dates and coconut oil in a food processor. Mix on high until the mixture become grainy.
- Transfer mixture into your pan and spread base evenly with your fingers making sure the mixture is packed firmly. Pop in the fridge whilst you make the filling.
- To make the filling:
- Soak cashews in a covered bowl in boiling water for one hour (or overnight in cool water), drain.
- Combine coconut cream, yoghurt, oil, syrup, and matcha powder in a food processor. Mix on high for 10 seconds.
- Add the cashews and keep blending until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to the pan and spread evenly over the base
- Place in the freezer for around four hours and then it’s ready to eat. You can freeze for longer but it’s best to defrost it in the fridge overnight (or at room temperature for a few hours).
- Garnish with blueberries and enjoy!
If you try out this recipe, let us know what you think! Our matcha came from the wonderful Bluebird Tea Co. (don’t forget when you order tea, you can get 20% off your first order using code: bugteabird54). We can’t wait to make it with some of the other flavours from their matcha range as they all sound amazing so keep an eye out for different flavour combos on the blog soon…
Becca & Kate