Anyone who knows us, knows we love a good vegan brownie. We make vegan brownies on a regular basis and have finally perfected our technique enough to be able to play around with the base recipe using tea (of course!). These brownies are made with 90% dark chocolate and contain delicious raspberries as well as the incredible Raspberry Russian blend by Bluebird Tea Co. Quick and easy to make (and eat!) you can adapt to include your favourite rooibos blend or switch out the fruit for nuts or even more chocolate!
Vegan Raspberry Russian Chocolate Brownies
Easy to make vegan brownies with raspberries and rooibos tea
- 150g dark chocolate (we used Lindt 90%)
- 170g of self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 180g of golden caster sugar
- 230ml of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or another non-dairy alternative)
- 3 teaspoons Bluebird Tea Co. Raspberry Russian tea (or another tea of your choice)
- 150g raspberries frozen
- 5 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- pinch of salt
- – Before you start, cold brew 3 teaspoons of tea in 230ml of vanilla almond milk for 8-24hrs
- Pre-heat your oven to 180ºC/350ºF. Grease your baking tin (we used a square tin roughly 20cm in size) with some oil and then line with grease proof paper.
- Place a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water to melt your chocolate in. Make sure the base doesn’t touch the water. Break 150g of chocolate into the bowl and allow it to melt.
- Whilst your chocolate is melting, sieve in 170g of self-raising flour and 3tbsp of cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in 180g of golden caster sugar, 5tbsp of oil and a pinch of salt.
- Strain your tea and add the cold-brewed tea mixture and the melted chocolate and stir until all combined.
- Mix in most of the frozen raspberries leaving a few to be scattered on top.
- Pour the mixture into your tin and spread evenly sprinkling a few of the remaining raspberries on top.
- Bake in the over for 25-35mins or until it’s cooked on the outside but still gooey inside.
- Leave to cool for 10mins and then we like to serve warm with vegan coconut ice cream.
If you’ve cold-brewed the tea long enough you’ll be able to taste the rooibos flavours over the other ingredients and we love to make a big batch of the cold-brew tea with vanilla almond milk to drink alongside! I also froze my raspberries to keep them for longer but fresh ones should work fine too! Let us know if you plan on giving them a go…
Becca & Kate