(Kate) As Bluebird Tea Co. reps we produce regular recipes using their tea, I was joking around about tea infusing some treats for my pooches as all the reps seem to have soft spots for little furry creatures, let’s face it who doesn’t?! My pups adore carrot, I literally can’t grate one without having one of them sniff around my feet for off-cuts! So with Bluebird’s new Easter blend – Carrot Cake I thought what better way to enjoy it than to have my beloved mutts enjoy it with me!
Meet my furry children, Emma and Bob!
Before getting my bake on I checked out the ingredients are safe for dogs. Rooibos is apparently just as beneficial to our four legged friends as it is to us, boasting stomach-calming anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties as well as being rich in Calcium and Vitamin C and it can help relieve dry itchy skin! This tea blend also contains cinnamon, nutmeg and mallow flower which I found has the potential to be harmful to dogs only in excessive quantities and are ok in small amounts, as there is only a small amount of these ingredients in the tea and only a small amount of tea going into these cookies these ingredients don’t pose a problem.
Carrot Cake Cookies.
One apple, one ripe banana, Carrot Cake loose leaf tea, one large carrot, 200g plain flour, 100g rolled oats.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Steep 3 teaspoons of Carrot Cake tea in 100mls hot water for five minutes or so (make yourself a cup at the same time).
- Meanwhile peel and grate the apple into a bowl.
- Mash the banana and stir in with the grated apple.
- Grate the carrot and stir in with the banana and apple.
- Strain and add the tea, combine thoroughly.
- Add the flour and oats using your hands to combine the mixture to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll the dough to a thickness of approx 7mm.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out the dough to suitable sizes for your canine companion.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
This recipe made 38 cookies of varying sizes, don’t give them all to your pooch in one go, treats are best in moderation! You can store them in an airtight container. This is a low fat treat for your four legged friend and all the ingredients totally safe for you too so you can enjoy the cookies together (with the added bonus of being vegan!)! I stuck with a cup of tea as although the ingredients add a natural sweetness to the cookie and the banana and apple highlighted the lightly spiced rooibos blend perfectly, it just wasn’t quite sweet enough for me! My pups certainly gave this TEAreat their lick of approval!
You can purchase Bluebird’s easter collection here – be warned it is limited edition and remember you can get 20% off your first purchase using code bugteabird54
Bugs & Birds (& Emma & Bob!)