When Becca recently came back from a trip to Brighton with a pouch of Bluebird Tea Co’s Lady Lavender we knew this special little tea was crying out for its own recipe and with pancake day pretty much upon us we couldn’t resist whipping up some tea inspired pancakes.
On the menu today – Vegan Earl Grey American Style Pancakes with Lady Lavender Syrup.
To make the pancakes…
250g plain flour, 2 tbsp caster sugar, 4 tsp baking powder, pinch of salt, 500ml soya milk, 2 tbsp vinegar, coconut oil, 4 tsp/teabags earl grey tea. (Serves 4)
- Warm the milk gently to around 80 degrees. Put the tea in the milk to infuse for 4 minutes. We used Bluebird Tea Co’s Earls Paradise tea.
- Sift the flour and mix with all the other dry ingredients.
- Strain the tea from the milk.
- Add the vinegar to the milk and whisk well. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. (This makes buttermilk!)
- Add the buttermilk to the dry ingredients, whisking thoroughly until smooth. At this stage it may still smell quite vinegary but don’t worry this disappears once you’ve cooked the batter.
- Heat a frying pan with a little coconut oil to prevent any sticking.
- Spoon the batter into the pan. We found using a ladle the easiest way and each of our pancakes was about half a ladle full.
- When you see bubbles rising to the surface of the batter and not popping your pancake is ready to flip.
To make the syrup…
200ml Water, 300ml Caster Sugar, 4 teaspoons Lady Lavender tea (or tea of your choice)
- Boil the water and infuse your chosen tea for however long the tea packaging recommends.
- Strain the tea from the water.
- Place the water and the sugar in a pan together.
- Heat the sugar and water on a medium heat and bring it to the boil, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves.
- Pop a lid on the saucepan and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and decant into a jar to cool at room temperature.
- Store in the fridge.
Pour the lavender syrup over your Earl Grey pancakes for the ultimate tea indulgence!
Happy pancake day!
Bugs & Birds