So our favourite tea shop Bluebird Tea Co. has recently launched their spring tea collection (Yay!) Fruit Salad, Maple Bacon Pancakes and Easter Egg Nests. Naturally we purchased some of each (along with a large tin of Dozy Girl) as we just had to try them all!
The Easter Egg Nests tea is warming and indulgent with black and green tea, cacao, toasted rice, marshmallows and chocolate chips. This tea was just screaming out to us to be put into a cake, so that’s exactly what we did!
We adapted a recipe we found online to make these tea infused cupcakes. After adapting the recipe to veganize it we later realised that the tea itself was most definitely not vegan – in fact it contains marshmallows and was not even vegetarian … MEGA-FAIL.
In order to make these vegan-non-vegan cupcakes you will need…
225g dairy free margarine
160ml dairy free milk (we used rice milk)
6 teaspoons of Easter Egg Nest Tea
160g caster sugar
3 teaspoons Orgran Egg Replacer (Mix with 6 tablespoons water)
1½ tsp vanilla extract
210g plain flour
1½ tsp baking powder
120-160g icing sugar
- Heat the margarine, milk and tea in a saucepan, simmer for a couple of minutes then allow to cool.
- Strain the tea from the butter and milk.
- Beat the 160 grams of butter and milk with the sugar (set aside the rest of the butter and milk tea infusion – you will need this later).
- Add vanilla and egg replacement and fold in flower and baking powder a tablespoon at a time.
- Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for approx 20 minutes at 180 degrees – until a knife comes out clean from the centre of a cupcake.
- Whilst allowing the cupcakes to cool mix the rest of the butter and milk tea infusion with the icing sugar. When at an appropriate consistency dress the top of your cupcakes with the icing.
- Allow the icing to set, EAT!!!
We topped our cupcakes with some chocolate sprinkles for extra omnoms.
These cupcakes turned out full of flavour and sweetness from the tea we used, they did sink in the middle rather a lot and went rather chewy on the outside, we think this may have been due to all the extras in the tea such as marshmallow. Whilst these cupcakes weren’t vegan due to the tea we used it is entirely possible to veganize this recipe by using a different tea, use any tea you fancy! If you do give this recipe a try we would love to hear what tea you use!
Bugs & Birds